Remove loose, hanging skin and repair stretched muscles in the abdomen
Tummy tuck is a procedure that removes excess skin or fatty deposits from the abdomen and repositions abdominal muscles into a tighter formation. It is almost always combined with liposuction to eliminate stubborn fat throughout the region and maximize results.
Patients who consider a tummy tuck procedure may have lax skin or stretched abdominal muscles due to pregnancy, or have lost a significant amount of weight.
After losing 150lbs I had a lot of arm skin that made me feel very insecure. She removed my skin and gave me a confidence I didn’t know I could have!
Tummy tucks are performed under general anesthesia. Dr. Kitto will make an incision along the abdomen and separate the skin from the abdominal muscles. She will then stretch the skin away from the muscle tissue and remove excess skin. The abdominal muscle tissue will be tightened to provide a firmly contoured stomach and well-defined waistline. Finally, Dr. Kitto will close the incisions and apply sterile surgical dressings over the sutured areas.
Once the procedure is completed, you’ll be taken to a recovery room. You’ll be cared for by a friendly nurse as you slowly wake from the anesthesia. We will wrap your abdomen with a compression garment to reduce swelling. Side effects may include swelling, bruising, redness, but these symptoms are temporary.
Very professional and personable. Pleased with my results.
Contact our practice
If you would like more information about tummy tuck surgery with Dr. Kitto, or wish to schedule a consultation, call us today.Call 804-294-1777
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Should I lose weight before a tummy tuck?
- Losing weight before a tummy tuck may help improve your final outcome. However sometimes there are stubborn fat pockets in the abdomen and flanks which are resistant to exercise and dieting. In these cases liposuction helps improve the abdominal contour.
Q. How long does it take to recover from a tummy tuck?
- Tummy tuck is a same day procedure and patients can go home to recover in the comfort of their own home. Patients may need pain medication during the first week. They are able to take short walks and are encouraged to ambulate. By the second week after surgery they are more mobile and can slowly return to their daily activities. Patients are encouraged to refrain from heavy lifting for the first month after surgery. For more motivated patients a more advanced protocol can be created.
Q. Will I have drains after a tummy tuck?
- Patients usually require two drains after a tummy tuck. They are placed in order to collect the fluid that your body normally produces while it is healing from surgery. Many patients are afraid of drains however they are very easy to take care of. Dr. Kitto will show you how to take care of your drains and will give you a detailed sheet to record the output.
Q. Will I have stitches after my tummy tuck?
- All stitches after tummy tuck are internal and dissolvable. If you have drains they will be secured with a small stitch which is easily and quickly removed in the office.
Q. How long will I have drains after my tummy tuck?
- Drains usually stay in for about 2 weeks. In procedures with extensive liposuction drains may stay for longer. You will see Dr. Kitto every week in the office while you have your drains. Once the drain output has been 20 ml or less for 2 consecutive days the drain can be removed.
MEET DR. KITTO
A highly skilled surgeon with an artist’s touch
"I strive to provide natural results to enhance my patients' unique beauty".
Dr. Kitto is a fully trained plastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic procedures of the face, breast and body. She also performs procedures for men and offers a wide variety of non-surgical options. Procedures she commonly performs are facial rejuvenation, breast enhancement and body contouring. She empowers patients to make educated decisions about their procedures and helps them feel comfortable throughout their transformation.Inzhili Kitto, MD